Thursday, June 23, 2011

Monk in Training



The Bodg Khaan Palace. Wow what a place! Such a historic place with the most beautiful architecture and colors.
While looking at some Buddhist monuments Temuulen and I met a young boy maybe around 11 or 12. He was dressed in Buddhist Kasaya robes, he was a monk in training. I asked my host sister to ask him how long he has been training for, the boy replied that he has been training in the temple since he was 8! Looking at him I saw a little boy wanting to play. But then if you looked at his face he just had this knowledge in his eyes that was overwhelming for me. He was so serious, I thought to myself, and back in USA boys his age would be playing games and hanging outside with friends! But here this boy was already looking and acting like an adult. Temuulen (my host sister) translated to me that he wanted me to take his picture in front of this stone monument. Then he told me ( with Temuulen translating) that I had to keep his picture for as long as I lived. I gave my thanks by giving him 2 Alaska pins, one with for-get-me-not flowers on it and the other of AK flag. I think he really liked them because his face lit up as he received them traditionally with both hands cupped around my hands. That picture will stay in my mind forever.

Kira O'Donoghue

4 comments:

Samantha said...

That is so neat! It's great to see pictures on here, too.

AKFam said...

Kira,how precious this is,I'm sure you will keep his picture forever! I love your up dates and pictures! I check the blog every morning. It's a great way to start the day! Keep it up, maybe you can show Mariah how it do it?(I said maybe) Connie

Anonymous said...

Kira,

He is a beautiful little boy. And you are right, there is something in his face which indicates a serenity beyond what we see in other boys his age.

Thanks so much for sharing your photos and words with us! Apparantly Killian and Jeannine have both been banned from the computers. I'm sure that's the ONLY reason they haven't emailed or blogged! :)

-Kathleen

Cindy said...

Same for Miranda. Blogs are good.
-Cindy