Thursday, June 23, 2011

Cultural Experiences In UB

I often find it hard to describe the lifestyles of a new place, especially one so completely different from home, but I'll give it a try. I must admit that the ideas of UB in my mind were quickly shattered after a few hours of walking through the city. Cars and traffic here are crazy and you cross your fingers evey time you try to cross the street. And, surprisingly, I've seen a few BMW and other fancy-looking cars. Time here, compared to the U.S., seems much more relaxed and leisurely. It is not uncommon for the bus to be 20 or 30 minutes late, but that is likely due to the heavy traffic congestion. But what seems to stand out the most to me is the culture; Mongolia is rich in a traditional culture. From elderly people walking around in traditional clothing, to almost every single person accustomed to drinking sootai tsai and eating mutton, it is always an adventure to step out onto the streets because I notice new small customs every time. For me, one of the most memorable cultural excursions has been the traditional singing, dancing, and music performance we went to. From throat singing to Mongolian dancing to a contortionist, I think I left with a well-rounded musical experience of Mongolian culture. On another note, I'm very excited to travel to our host communities Saturday, as I think the two weeks living as a Mongolian will only enhance my understanding. Culture is one of the reasons I love to travel, for every time I return from a trip, I feel like my world view has only grown. I think this must be similar for many of the other American participants, and one of the intriguing aspects of travel for the Mongolians that have never left their country. Many adventures await us!

Daraa ulzii
Erynne van Zee

No comments: