Monday, June 27, 2011

Learning to Cook Mongolian Food

Being in Mongolia has been great fun! Today was a free day on our schedule therefore Deegii my host is teaching me to cook Mongolian Buuz (big dumplings steamed) and Bunsh (small dumplings filled with meat boiled in milk tea). I must say that the lamb we raise on our ranch is a lot different from the mutton purchased in the local market. I think I am understanding that it is the cheaper meat here. Anyway, Deegii has taught me many Mongolian words and cultural things. It has been a delight. I have experienced the cheap bus and a taxi. Luckily the cheap bus was not during rush hour (it gets packed). The taxis here are not necessarily a permitted business, it can just be a private person willing to make a little spending cash and you into their car. The way you hail them is to walk along the curb with your hand extend to the road. Out of no where they zoom to the curb stop in any traffic and let you get into their car. Needless to say as an American it is a just breath moment for me. We have so many regulations for safety that I have come to realize the security that I have taken for granted. I am excited to experience and learn even more and I look forward to hearing about others' experiences in our group.

No comments: