Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Mongolia has come to mean

Mongolia is a land of strong, unique traditions:

In the past week, I have tasted mare's milk, uruk (mare's milk vodka), marmot, cow's tongue, sheep's head, orom (a delicious butter), and gallons of milk tea. I have slept in a ger, ridden horses bareback across the open plains, and milked a very, very patient cow. I have paid my respects to the Mother tree (a sacred tree), avoided placing my hat on the ground, and been reminded not to whistle in the house.

Mongolia also shares a surprising amount of common ground with America:

Immediately after eating marmot, I had some chocolate fondue and a delicious ice cream sundae. My host brother, Muunuu, loves the song "Friday" and plays it all the time - his phone is filled with popular American songs. Ask him about Forest Gump and you will get an enthusiastic response! And of course, after I finished drinking my milk tea in a ger deep in the Mongolian countryside, I realized that I was using a Looney Tunes cup! It seemed that in a way, I was not so far from home.

And what is the result?

A land of blue skies, throat singers, old disco tunes and the latest hits, pizza, hot-stone barbecues, nice computers like the one I am using, open plains, I <3 NY T-shirts, and excellent fondue. A land which is colorful, diverse, and beautiful. There you have it - MONGOLIA!

I have had an amazing trip full of memorable moments and unforgettable adventures. Through immersing myself in both sides of Mongolia, I have come to realize that its old and new parts are inextricably linked, creating a land far more fascinating and complex than I could have imagined.

Sam Greydanus